With canned or fresh lump crab meat, you can make your own air fryer crab cakes in 30 minutes with this easy air fryer crab cakes recipe. Sea food seasoning, bread crumbs, mayonnaise and red bell pepper make an effortless and quick homemade seafood meal!
thick, savory crab cakes
This recipe uses simple ingredients you likely already have on hand. You may use fresh crab meat or canned, drained lump crab meat for crab cakes made in the air fryer.
Follow these simple steps for making crab cakes in the air fryer.
For this recipe, you’ll need to begin by lining the air fryer basket with aluminum foil, then spray it with cooking spray.
how to make the spicy tartar sauce
what you’ll need
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeños
- 2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
This crab cake sauce is too easy! While the crab cakes are cooking,
- combine the ingredients for the tartar sauce
- stir well
Follow these tips for perfectly air fried crab cakes, every time.
- Time saver: make the sauce ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the crabmeat and refrigerate for an hour before adding the remaining ingredients for super juicy crab cakes.
- fresh lemon wedges really bring out the rich flavor of the crab cakes
- take care to not overcrowd your air fryer basket and when flipping the crab patties
- red pepper– substitute for yellow or green pepper
- breadcrumbs– you may use homemade, Italian, or regular bread crumbs
- jalapeño– for a less spicy tartar sauce, use pickled banana pepper or store-bought tartar sauce
- seafood seasoning– Old Bay Seafood Seasoning is the recommended seasoning for crab cakes- it’s simply the best!
- Store leftover crab cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
can I freeze crab cakes?
- Freeze crab cakes for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in the air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes.
what goes with crab cakes?
The best side dishes for crab cakes include:
Air Fryer Crab Cakes with Spicy Tartar Sauce
- Air fryer
- Line the air fryer basket with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the crab meat, breadcrumbs, seafood seasoning, eggs, mayonnaise, bell pepper, celery, Dijon mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir until well mixed.
- Shape a large tablespoon size of the crab mixture into a small patty and place in the air fryer basket. Do not over crowd. Make in batches.
- Air fry at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip the crab cakes and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the crab cakes are cooking, mix the ingredients for the tartar sauce and stir well.
- Serve with tartar sauce.
- You can make the sauce ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For super moist crab cakes, add the breadcrumbs to the crabmeat and refrigerate for an hour before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in the air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes.