There’s nothing more comforting than this Hamburger Vegetable Soup made with peas, carrots, potatoes, and diced tomatoes in only 23 minutes! This quick and flavorful Instant Pot stew is the only comfort food you’ll ever need on cold winter evenings.
the best hamburger vegetable soup
My grandmother used to make this veggie beef soup and Chicken Pot Pie Soup consistently throughout the year. She’d serve it with a heaping amount of saltine crackers (and sometimes a sprinkle of cheese, too!). Who doesn’t love comfort soups?
- the Instant Pot is a convenient way to make roasts and stews; only 23 minutes for an entire meal!
- a great way to use up veggies so they don’t spoil
- this soup is customizable to your favorite ingredients
Ingredients for this healthy vegetable hamburger soup are likely already in your pantry or freezer. This Instant Pot soup is so simple to make, especially during cold winter months.
how to make hamburger vegetable soup
Equipment needed: pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Before starting, add oil and set your Instant Pot to sauté.
- for fast prep- chop veggies the night before and store in the fridge for an even faster hamburger vegetable soup.
- lean meat is best- anything less than 90% lean, be sure to drain excess grease prior to pressure cooking
- swap ground beef for ground turkey, chicken or pork
- switch peas, carrots and potatoes for cabbage, extra onion, peppers, mushrooms, and more!
- vegetarian version: omit the meat altogether, or meat substitute (Beyond Meat) or 2 cans of lentil
leftover hamburger vegetable soup
Storing leftover hearty hamburger vegetable soup is easy! Seal leftover soup in an air-tight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze leftovers for up to 3 months in a large air-tight freezer bag. Thaw overnight and re-heat once defrosted.
best sides for hamburger vegetable soup
This dish is great served with garlic bread, cornbread, crackers, or a sprinkle of cheese on top.
Instant Pot Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef 90% lean is best
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes large, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce optional
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Select sauté on the instant pot and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add ground beef, onion, and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until the onion are softened.
- Cancel sauté mode and add the rest of ingredients except for the cornstarch water peas. And fresh parsley, stir. Close the lid, and place the valve on sealing.
- Select high pressure and set the timer for 8 minutes. (remember it takes about 20 minutes for the pressure to rise and start cooking)
- Once cooked, do a quick release, open the lid carefully, mix the cornstarch with water and add to the stew.
- Select sauté mode and bring to boil; once the stew is boiling, cancel sauté mode.
- Add the peas and stir—Reserve for 5 minutes to warm up the peas.
- Serve in bowls. Garnish with parsley.
- This stew can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days; It also freezes very well for up to 3 months. To prevent the vegetables from getting soggy when reheating, thaw in fridge overnight.
- Ground Beef: Ground turkey, ground chicken – Vegetarian version: beyond meat or 2 cans (15.5 oz) lentil
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ground beef, onion, and garlic cook for 5 minutes or until the onion are softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch, water peas, and fresh parsley and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, mix the cornstarch with water and add it to the stew.
- Bring to boil; once the stew is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the peas and stir. Reserve for 5 minutes to warm up the peas.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
More soups to love…
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Homestyle Potato Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
Leave a Reply