This healthy recipe for air fryer turkey meatloaf is sure to impress the entire family. This easy homemade turkey meatloaf is made with egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, mushrooms and seasoned before it is smothered in a special sauce and cooked in the air fryer.
Is turkey meatloaf healthy?
Clean-up is a snap with this turkey meatloaf, which cooks in a fraction of the time in the air fryer and is much healthier and easier than traditional meatloaf. This 30 minute meatloaf is lower in calories, healthy and free from red meat.
This simple meatloaf recipe is full of sweet/tangy flavors brought out by panko, ketchup, garlic powder, mushrooms, egg, brown sugar, and dijon mustard mixed with ground turkey.
step by step instructions
Equipment needed: two mini air fryer loaf pans
- Before placing the meatloaf in the air fryer, allow a few minutes to pre-heat.
- To avoid overcooking, check the meatloaf often.
- Slicing the meatloaf is easy if you let it rest for a bit.
- Don’t overmix. This will help the meatloaf stay moist and not get dried out.
- Use a thermometer to check the meatloaf. Turkey should reach 165° in the center.
- You can saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms for a few minutes before adding to the meatloaf. I prefer my onions to be well cooked and sometimes they don’t cook well enough in a meatloaf.
- swap ground turkey for chicken or pork
- liquid smoke may be substituted for Worcestershire sauce
- mushrooms add flavor and help the meatloaf stay moist, or you may try green pepper.
How to prevent burning/smoking
Frying fatty foods in an air fryer can cause smoking. To prevent this, you can put a piece of bread under the rack in the bottom of the air fryer basket. In case the grease spills, the bread will soak it up.
How do I make vegan air fryer meatloaf?
To make a vegan air fryer version of this meatloaf, drain and mash 2 cans of chickpeas mixed with 4 tbsp chicken bullion powder to replace the ground turkey.
what’s the best way to store leftover meatloaf?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.
best sides for meatloaf
Meatloaf goes great with a variety of side dishes, including:
Air Fryer Turkey Meatloaf
- Air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer at 400° for 5 minutes.
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients and form into 2 small loaves, or if you have mini loaf pans, spray with cooking spray and divide the meatloaf between 2 pans.
- Cover the pans with tinfoil and air fry at 400° for 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- While the meat is cooking, combine the glaze ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove the tinfoil and spread some sauce over the meatloaf. You can save the remaining sauce to serve with the meatloaf. Place in the air fryer for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months in a zippered, air-tight bag.
Must-try air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Beef Meatloaf
Air Fryer BBQ Drumsticks