This super easy Instant Pot chicken and rice soup is a healthy, low-calorie dinner bursting with flavor. Try this old-fashioned recipe that pressure cooks in only 7 minutes!
How do I prepare instant pot chicken rice soup?
- Caramelize onions along with celery and carrots
- Add in other ingredients, including cubed chicken pieces
- Pressure cook on high for 7 minutes.
Do I need to soak my rice before cooking?
There’s really no need to soak your rice prior to pressure cooking, but it is good practice to rinse your rice.
What are things I can make with leftover chicken and rice soup?
Leftovers are great to pack for healthy, make-ahead lunches. I also serve this soup with easy air fryer egg rolls.
Is chicken and rice soup healthy?
Chicken soup, like chicken noodle soup and chicken and rice soup, are high in vitamins K and C.
Healthy chicken soups help us build a healthy immune system to fight off viruses.
What can I substitute for rice?
For the healthiest rice option, look for a whole-grain rice, to add in more fiber, vitamins, minerals.
If you’re limiting carbs, try cauliflower rice instead.
How many calories are in chicken rice soup?
Chicken soup is typically low in calories and a great option if you’re following a low calorie diet. This quick and simple rice and chicken soup has 172 calories.
How many carbs are in chicken soup with rice?
This chicken rice soup has 22g. carbs.
Rice does increase the carb amount of this soup, but you can still enjoy it without adding rice if you’re on a low carb diet.
If you are on a gluten-free diet, simply add in some riced cauliflower or peppers instead.
How long will chicken soup with rice keep in the fridge?
Chicken and rice soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Can I freeze chicken rice soup?
You can freeze chicken and rice soup in an airtight freezer-friendly zipper bag.
How do I make it in slow cooker/ Crock Pot?
Make this recipe in the slow cooker with a low setting for up to 6 hours and a high setting for 3-4 hours.
Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and set the time.
What can I substitute for chicken?
If you don’t have chicken breasts, you may use the following:
- Turkey breast
- Chicken thighs
- Chicken tenders
- Shredded turkey
- Shredded chicken or leftover rotisserie chicken
Swap chicken for:
- Extra carrots
What sides go with chicken rice soup?
The best side dishes for chicken rice soup include:
- Salad– try our chicken salad
- Grilled cheese
- Crouton toppings
- White cheddar cheese / pepper jack cheese
Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
- Pressure cooker / instant pot
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- ¾ cup celery chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 chicken breasts medium, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild white rice
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning or chopped parsley/ rosemary
- On high, sauté veggies until onions are translucent.
- Add in all other ingredients.
- Pressure cook on high setting for 4 minutes.
- Natural release for 6 minutes, then vent (quick release).