The mouth-watering and versatile appetizer, baked cheese bruschetta, is sure to please and impress party guests. Make as a side or snack for Italian mains or pasta night!
What is bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a starter (antipasto) dish with origins in 15th Century Italy. Served as a snack or appetizer, it typically involves ingredients such as tomatoes, meats, basil, and fresh mozzarella.
How do I pronounce bruschetta?
The correct pronunciation of bruschetta is broo·skeh·tuh.
Fun fact: According to The International Kitchen, Italy’s favorite appetizer is bruschetta!
What kind of cheese goes well with bruschetta?
For this recipe, we bake our bruschetta with a shredded Italian cheese blend.
You may omit the cheese altogether or opt for a fresh mozzarella.
How do I make baked cheese bruschetta?
For this recipe, we first dice onion and Roma tomatoes, combine with red wine vinegar and olive oil in a bowl and set aside.
We then slice a French baguette into 1/2 inch pieces and drizzle with olive oil on both sides.
Next, add prosciutto slices, then layer with tomato-onion mix after stirring once more to combine ingredients thoroughly.
Top with Italian cheese blend and bake at 415°F for about 10-12 minutes.
What can I serve with bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a great stand-alone appetizer. Bruschetta is delicious served with a nice hefty salad or pasta, like fettuccine.
What are other types of bruschetta toppings?
Top bruschetta with any of the following:
- olive spread
- red onion jam
- cherry tomatoes
- bacon jam
- fig spread
And, don’t forget the toppings:
- roasted peppers
Check out Olivia’s Cuisine for tips on building your own bruschetta bar.
Baked Cheese Bruschetta
- 3 roma tomatoes ripe
- 1 yellow or white onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 French baguette hard and crusty on outside
- 1 pkg prosciutto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1½ tbsp Italian Seasoning
Tomato and Onion Prep
- Dice onion and Roma tomatoes. Place into a sealed bowl with red wine vinegar, olive oil and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 415°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray/olive oil.
- Slice baguette into ½ inch sections.
- Brush on a layer of olive oil to both sides of baguette slices.
- Place a section of prosciutto on top of each baguette.
- Stir tomato/onion mixture once more. Place a tbsp of mixture on each prosciutto.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is forming a golden crust on top.
If you like baked bruschetta with cheese, you’ll love:
Check out our baked potato soup too!
Leave a Reply