This Shrimp biryani recipe is made in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. It’s a simple yet delicious seafood rice dish with aromatic spices and it’s perfect for feeding an entire family.
Shrimp biryani may be made quickly and easily in an Instant Pot. If you’re seeking for a seafood biryani recipe, this is possibly the simplest and most delicious one you’ll find. And, it’s made in under 30 minutes!
What is biryani?
Biryani is a popular Indian dish made with rice, meat and spices. It is the a popular dish in India and Pakistan.
The recipe is said to have originated in Delhi under the Mughal rule. Most people consider it an upgraded version of Arabian pilaf. Today, there are several different versions of biryani to enjoy.
For this recipe, you’ll need a variety of flavorful ingredients, including shrimp, rice, onion, tomato and a blend of seasonings such as turmeric, star anise, cardamom, and ginger garlic. There’s a lot of ingredients, but this dish is worth it!
how to make biryani
Follow these step by step instructions for how to make shrimp biryani in the instant pot.
- Sauté butter with cumin seeds, bay leaves, black and green cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorns, cloves, and star anise. Caramelize onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté until fragrant. Next, add chopped tomato and salt. Mix and cook it for a few seconds until the tomatoes soften. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, Garam Masala, coriander powder, and plain yogurt. Mix well.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves,
- Add soaked rice and mix properly.
- Add the shrimp and water.
- Pressure cook for 6 minutes and vent immediately.
Here are a few ways to customize your biryani:
- Meat: Although I have used shrimp, you can use chicken, beef, or lamb as well. Moreover, you can also add a few vegetables like potatoes, carrots, bell peppers and peas to make a vegetarian biryani.
- Rice: You can replace basmati rice with jasmine rice or any other short-grain rice. Just make sure they aren’t very starchy.
- Ghee: Replace ghee with butter for a deeper flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use pre-made biryani masala for this recipe?
Absolutely! It is quite convenient to buy a pre-made biryani masala and use it instead of individual spices. However, this way, you can’t customize the flavors like the spice level in your dish.
How to make shrimp biryani on the stovetop?
Making shrimp biryani on the stovetop is time-consuming, yet it is very easy. All you have to do is boil rice separately. Drain the rice and set it aside. Follow the recipe for shrimp biryani gravy as mentioned above and skip adding water. Layer the rice and the gravy in a pot and let it cook on a very flow flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Mix well and enjoy.
How to Store Leftover shrimp biryani?
Once it reaches room temperature, store the leftover shrimp biryani in an airtight container and refrigerate for three days. You can also freeze it for two months. Thaw it and reheat it over the stovetop or in the microwave and enjoy.
What to serve with biryani?
Shrimp biryani goes well with yoghurt raita and fresh cucumber, tomatoes, and onion salad.
Shrimp Biryani (instant pot)
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick 1 inch long
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup mint leaves
- ⅓ cup coriander leaves
- 1 lb large shrimps cleaned and deveined
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the rice 3-4 times or until the water runs clear. Soak with enough water for 15 minutes; drain and set aside after 15 minutes.
- Set the instant pot on the SAUTE function. Add butter, and let it melt. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, black and green cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorns, cloves, and star anise.
- Next add sliced onions and sauté it for 5-6 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and sauté until fragrant. Next, add chopped tomato and salt. Mix and cook it for a few seconds until the tomatoes soften.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, Garam Masala, coriander powder, and plain yogurt. Mix well.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves, add soaked rice and mix properly, next add the shrimp and water.
- CANCEL the SAUTE button. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE for 6 minutes. (Make sure the valve is in the SEALING position).
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over; quick-release pressure by manually moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING position.
- Open the lid carefully and select the CANCEL button. Fluff the top layer and gently mix the biryani.
- Serve the shrimp Biryani hot with Raita and enjoy.
- You can store the shrimp biryani in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or around 2 months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge and then heat in the microwave at 30-sec intervals until heated.
- Use jasmine rice or other short-grain Indian rice if you don’t have basmati rice. However, don’t use brown rice as they require a longer time to pressure cook and that will overcook the shrimp.
- Make sure all the rice is under liquid before you begin the pressure cook cycle.
- You can replace butter with Ghee if you like.
- You can use fresh or frozen shrimps (defrosted and dried). If using frozen shrimp just make sure that they are not precooked.
Leave a Reply