Honeybun bread pudding is a family favorite in my household. This easy breakfast-dessert is the perfect combination of sweet and cinnamon. Serve with a tall glass of milk for your next large gathering or brunch!
There’s nothing better than baking in bulk- the easy way, and this honey bun bread pudding is the perfect bake-ahead treat. You can find me whipping up easy breakfasts and desserts, like bread puddings and Mardi Gras cake in the spring time.
- diced honey buns
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- whole milk
Optional glaze ingredients:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Soft whipped cream for serving
How to make honey bun bread pudding
Making this recipe is like making a simple honey bun cake.
- Spray a 9×13 with cooking spray. Place the diced honey buns into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the ingredients until combined.
- Pour this mixture over the honey buns and press down with a spoon so the honey buns are completely coated. Let this sit for 30 minutes to give the honey buns time to soak up the custard.
- Bake and serve warm or cold with a dollop of whipped topping, ice cream and more!
Substitute whole milk for almond, soy or oat milk. You may also use half and half.
Substitute white granulated sugar for brown sugar, or omit it for less sugar.
This dish will keep up to a week in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
Can I freeze honey bun bread pudding?
Yes, this will freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and reheat if preferred.
Can I make this with frosted honey buns?
I have not tried this recipe with frosted honey buns, just regular.
Is this recipe gooey or thick?
This honey bun bread pudding is more on the custardy side, like a simple bread pudding. Add less liquid if you prefer a thick, bread-type of pudding.
I love that the top gets crisp and caramelized while the inside stays soft.
Best toppings for honey bun bread pudding?
Serve with candied nuts, whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, chocolate drizzle or vanilla ice cream. I also love my bread pudding with bananas and/or strawberries.
Tips for the perfect honey bun bread pudding
There is less sugar in this recipe than other bread puddings due to the honey buns already being sweet.
Honey Bun Bread Pudding
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Spray a 9×13 with cooking spray. Place the diced honeybuns into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla until combined. Add the milk and gently whisk it in.
- Pour this mixture over the honeybuns and press down with a spoon so the honeybuns are submerged. Let this sit for 30 minutes to give the honeybuns time to soak up the icing.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is browned and puffed.
- You know it’s ready when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving, serve warm, room temperature, or cold! Serve with optional soft whipped cream.